Saturday, March 12, 2016

Send Reinforcements!

Not long after Anthony specified what we needed for the structural work, the material arrived.



Sudbury Lumber dropped it right in our driveway. Luckily, our cabinet guy, Joe, showed up shortly after it was dropped off and gave me a hand moving it into our garage. Joe stopped by to take some measurements in the kitchen for our new cabinets.

Now that we had the lumber, I had to get busy reinforcing the floor joist in the basement. Since we have a finished basement, it was kind of tough. Just getting the 12-foot 2"x10" downstairs was a challenge in itself.


The doubled-up joist that saved me a lot of work on one side


The joist that needed to be doubled is to the left of the joist that is already doubled.


This is the same joist, on the right, looking in the other direction.


A tight squeeze, as you can see.


Luckily, I was able to utilize a conveniently located basement window.


Had to trim a little off a neighboring joist to get the new one in.


A few pipes in the way, too.


Getting there!


Had to trim the ends off of the doubled-up joists to get the new one in.


At this point, I was having a pretty tough time trying to get the new joist upright, along side of the existing one. I needed some mechanical assistance, so off to Lowe's I went. I figured I could get a jack post and crank up the existing joist just enough so that I could pound the joist in. I also ended up getting a couple of pipe clamps and a couple of 2-foot lengths of 3/4-inch pipe. I thought that I could clamp them across the bottoms of the joists and tighten them a little bit between whacks with the mallet.

Jack post and pipe clamp in place.





Mallet marks on the joist.


Looking good on this end!


Jack post moved to the other end, by the beam.


Not too shabby!


Looking good this way, too.


And it's in!


I figured that I wouldn't be needing the jack post anymore, so I returned it to Lowe's. Decided to keep the pipe clamps, though. Those could come in handy. I could always buy longer lengths of pipe for them, too. Installation of this floor joist was done over a 3-day period in October of 2015.



No comments:

Post a Comment